Pages

Sunday 16 January 2011

The Shropshire 200 Club!!!

Finally!!... It's taken me a little over 7 years to achieve it, but today I finally managed my 200th species for Shropshire, gaining me access to the elite group of the Shropshire 200 Club!!... It was just before midday with a text from Damon (shortly followed by another from Mike), informing me of a Brent Goose on my patch, VP!!...
I raced off immediately, arriving at VP in the falling drizzle. Despite a few cars in the carpark I was surprised to find only 2 birders in the main hide?... They had 'no idea' where the Brent was!! Oh no, not another dip whilst on the cusp of my 200th species!!?... The only thing I could do was check the Trout Pool...
Fortunately I'd spotted Jim's car on arrival, so I phoned him as I left the hide, & joy of joy's he informed me that the bird in question was indeed sat on the Trout Pool!!
After a brief dash I had the lone Brent Goose in my bins, a pale bird sat in the middle of the Trout Pool, surrounded by a few Coot & 1 distant drake Goldeneye! But at last, I'd nailed my county goal of 200!!!
What an excellent start to the year, a county tick in the first 2 weeks is pretty bloody fab!!...
Right, I'm off for some food... Till next time my luvlies!! :)

*Ooh, on a side note ~ the Brent Goose also became my 164th sp. I've seen at VP!! I was also a bit pissed off to discover I'd missed a White-fronted Goose at VP a few days ago!!... I dont need WFG for Shrops. thankfully, as I saw 2 at Polemere in 2009!!.... But I did miss out on 3 patch ticks last year, Marsh Harrier, Sandwich Tern (also a county bird I need!!) & of course, that sodding Whiskered Tern!!! Which is the full bag for me... as I've never seen one... ever!!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment